Sherpur is a district of the Dhaka Division and in northern Bangladesh. Sherpur district was established in 1984. Before that it was a subdivision under the Mymensingh district. The district consists of one municipality, five upazilas, 51 union parishads, 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 73 mahallas, 458 mouzas and 699 villages. Five upazilas are JHENAIGATI, NAKLA, NALITABARI, SHERPUR SADAR and SREEBARDI.
Area: 1363.76 km²
Boundary: This district is surrounded by Garo hills of Meghalaya (India) on the north, Mymensingh and Jamalpur districts on the south, Mymensingh district on the east, Jamalpur district on the west.
Population: 1246511. Among them male are 50.87%, female 49.13%.
Religion: Muslim 95%, Hindu 4%, Christian 0.5% and others 0.5%.
Ethnic nationals: Garo, Koch, Hajong, Banai and Rajbanshi.
Literacy rate: Average literacy 32.4%. among them male are 38.6% and female 26.2%.
Forests: Shal, Segun and Gazari forests.
Weather: Annual average temperature maximum 33.3°C, minimum 12°C; annual rainfall 2174 mm.
Main rivers: main rivers are Old Brahmaputra, Mrigi, Malijee, Bhogai, Chellashali and Maharashi.
Distance from Dhaka:It is only four and half hour journey from Dhaka ( capital city) .
Marks of War of Liberation: There were manyMass killing site. They are Ahmednagar (Jhenaihati), Jhaughara (Sherpur), Bidhaba Para (Nalitabari) and Kayari Road (Jhenaigati).
Main crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed, potato, peanut, sugarcane and vegetables.
Main exports: Paddy, jute, vegetables, rubber, stone, sand and bamboo.
Main occupations: Agriculture 46.51%, fishing 1.45%, agricultural labourer 23.61%, age labourer 3.01%, commerce 9.5%, service 3.14%, transport 1.32% and others 11.46%.
Educational institutions: There are an agricultural training institute, 1 nursing training institute and 1 vocational training institute. There are also 3 Government College, 11 Non-government College, 3 government high schools, 92 non-government high school and many other institutions.
Sherpur region was a part of the kingdom of the Kamrupa in the ancient time.
During the Mughal period this area was called “Dashkahania Baju”. Doshkahania Pargana was named Sherpur after Sher Ali Gazi. He was the last jaghirdar of the Gazi dynasty.
Diring the Fakir-Sannyasi Revolts Tipu Shah (leader of the Fakir Movement) declared sovereignty in the area and established his capital at Gajripa.
Peasant conferences were held in 1906, 1914 and 1917 at Kamarer Char of Sherpur .
The communists revolted against the systems of Nankar, Tonk, Bhawali, Mahajani, Ijaradari during 1838-48 occurred in Sherpur.
In 1897 a devastating earth quack happened which changed the course of the Brahmaputra towards the west and merged it with the Jamuna. It caused a lot of harm to Sherpur.
The town stands on the bank of the Brahmaputra and the Mrigi with an area 23.39 km². This town has a glorious history. It was established in the seventeenth century. During the Mughal period it was a regional administrative centre .Magistrate court and thana (police station) were established in the beginning of the 19th century. The Sherpur municipality was established in 1869. Now the town consists of 9 wards and 56 mahallas. The town has a population of 78749. Among them male are 52.22%, female 47.78%. The density of population is 3367 per km² and the Literacy rate among the town people is 38.6%.
Attractions of Sherpur
Historical and archeological heritage:
• Garh Jaripar Fort (c 1486-91 AD)
• Tomb of Darvish Jarip Shah
• Baraduari Mosque
• Tomb of Hazrat Shah Kamal (1644 AD)
• Tomb of Sher Ali Gazi, Mughal Mosque at Kasba
• Ghagra Laskar Bari Mosque
• Maisaheba Mosque
• Residences of Nay Ani, Arai Ani and Pouney Tin Ani Zamindars.
• ‘Modhu Tila Eco-Park’situated in Nalitabari (Beautiful Picnic & Vacation Spot).
• Gazni Abakash Kendro situated in Jhenaigati upazila (Beautiful picnic spot)
• Sweet meat made from milk. (In Bengali Sanar Payes)
• Land-port at Nalitabari.