Netrakona is a district in the central Bangladesh which is a part of the Dhaka Division. Netrokona subdivision was established in 1882 and it was turned into a district in 1984. Earlier it was under greater Mymensingh division. This district consists of 10 upazilas, 4 municipalities, 36 wards, 102 mahallas, 85 union parishads and 2281 villages. The upazilas are ATPARA, BARHATTA, DURGAPUR, KHALIAJURI, KALMAKANDA, KENDUA, MADAN, MOHANGANJ, NETROKONA SADAR and PURBADHALA. 4 municipalities are Barhatta, Durgapur, Mohanganj and Netrokona Sadar.
Area: 2810.40 km sq km.
Boundary: This district is bounded by Garo Hills of Meghalaya (India) on the north, KISHOREGANJ district on the south, SUNAMGANJ district on the east and MYMENSINGH district on the west.
Population: 1937794. Among them male are 50.71%, female 49.29%.
Religion: Muslim 83%, Hindu 14% and others 3%.
Ethnic community: Garo and Hajong.
Literacy rate: Average literacy 26% rate. Among them male are 31.2% and female 20.4%.
Weather: Average maximum annual temperature of Netrakona is 33.3°C and minimum 12°C. Total rainfall is 2174 mm.
Main rivers: Someshwari, Kangsha, Magra, Dhanu, Dhala, Teorkhali.
Main crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed and potato.
Main fruits: Jackfruit, mango, banana, lemon, coconut, papaya and palm.
Main occupations: Agriculture 52.05%, fishing 1.87%, agricultural laborer 21.97%, wage laborer 3.09%, commerce 7.61%, service 2.94% and others 10.47%.
Communication: Main communication is by road and railway.
Main exports: Fish, leather and egg.
Marks of War of Liberation: There are 4 Mass killing site and 4 memorials in this district.
Educational institutions: There are 2 primary teacher’s training institute, 1 law college, 1 nursing institute, 1 Sanskrit college, 1 homeopathy college, 1 technical institute and 2 music schools as notable institutions. PTI, Netrakona, Netrakona Govt. College, Netrakona Govt. Women College etc are some of the renowned institutions. Beside them there are 2 government college , 17 non-government college , 5 government high school, 106 non-government high school, 44 junior high school, 77 madrasa, 634 government primary school and 478 non-government primary schools in this district.
Some renowned persons of Netrakona:
- Shahabuddin Ahmed . He is an Ex. President and Chief Justice of Bangladesh.
- Moni Singh . He was a renowned Political Leader.
- Col. Abu Taher,Bir-Uttom. He was the Sector Comander, Sector # 11 during liberation war.
- Humayun Ahmed . He is a Famous Writer, novelist and Film Director and Ex Prof. of DU.
- Md. Jafar Iqbal . He is a renowned Writer, scientist & Intellectual and Prof. of SUST.
- Nirmalendu Goon . He is a famous Poet.
- Md. Abdul Hannan Khan. He is an Ex. D.I.G. of Bangladesh Police (Dhaka range).
- Abdul Momen . He was a Political Leader.
Places of interest
- Durgapur is a place near the Indo-Bangla border. The Garo Pahar is situated here and travals are living here.
- Birishiri is a very beautiful palce and a tourist spot.The only Up-Zati cultural academi in the country is there.
- Hazrat Shah Sultan Kamar Uddin Rumi’s shrine at Madanpur.
- Roail Bari Fort at Kendua
- Khoja dighi (pond)
- Palace of Maharaja at Susang Durgapur
- Dighi of Kamol Rani
- Buddhist Math at Krishnapur of Atpara
- Salki Matikata.
Historically Netrakona is the central point of Mymensingh Githika as Mahua Malua lived there and created their performances. Many revolts occurred here and some of them are
Tonk and Tebhaga movements
The three day All India Peasant Conference was held in Nagara in 1945.
This is a small calm town with 9 wards and 33 mahallas. Netrakona Pouroshaba was established in 1887 and administration of Netrakona Sadar thana was established in 1874. It was turned into an upazila in 1983. It is a municipal town with an area of 13.63 sq km with a population of 53853. Among them male are 51.22%, female 48.78%. The density of population in the town is 3951 per sq km and the Literacy rate among the town people is 54.2%.