Narayanganj District is a district in central Bangladesh and a part of the Dhaka Division. Narayanganj division was established in 1984 and before that it was a subdivision. The subdivision was established in 1882 The district consists of five upazilas, 49 union parishads, 881 mouzas, 1374 villages, 2 municipalities, 12 wards and 115 mahallas. 5 upazilas are Araihazar, Sonargaon,Bandar,Naryanganj Sadar and Rupganj. Among them Rupganj is the largest and Bandar is the smallest subdistrict in case of area of this district. Narayanganj is called the Dundee of east due to the presence of lots of jute mills and has the oldest important river port of Bangladesh.
Area: 759.57 km².
Population : 2138492. Among them male are 52.60% and female 47.40%.
Religion: Muslim 92.59%, Hindu 6.43%, others 1.07%.
Literacy rate :Average literacy 39.84%. among them male are 46.23% and female 32.24%.
Distance from capital: 20 kilometers.
Boundary: Narayanganj District is bounded by Gazipur and Narsingdi Districts on the north, Brahmanbaria and Comilla Districts on the east, Munshiganj District on the south, and Dhaka District on the west.
Weather: Average maximum temperature of thid district is 36°C, minimum 12.7°C. annual rainfall is 2376 mm.
Rivers: SHITALAKSHYA, MEGHNA, OLD BRAHMAPUTRA, BURIGANGA, BALU and DHALESHWARI.
Major occupations: Service 23.36%, commerce 19.9%, Agriculture 13.37%, agricultural labourer 8.61%, weaving 5.49 etc.
Main crops: Paddy, jute, wheat, mustard seed and vegetables.
Main fruits: Mango, Jam (black bury kind), litchi, guava and banana.
Main exports: Jamdani saris and hosiery products. Fruits and fruit products, jute and jute products are important.
Communication process: Main communication process is by Roads,railway and waterways.
Educational institutions: There is a art college, 1 physical education institute and one marine technology centre in Narayanganj. Beside these there are many government,non government high schools, madrasas, government ,non-government primary schools ,kindergarten schools, satellite schools, community schools, NGO operated schools etc.
Economical condition of Narayanganj:The district is pioneer in merchandising thread and dying items. Narayanganj is famous for Cottage industry and hosiery products. Rupashi and Kazipara are famous for Jamdani shari production. Though The rural economy of Narayanganj is agriculture,International trading, Import and export business, shipyard brickfield etc are also important.
Mills and factories: Famous Adamjee Jute Mills (closed in 2002), Chittaranjan Cotton Mills, Lakshmi Narayan Cotton Mills, Dhakeshwari Mills, Star Particle Board Mills, Dhaka Vegetable Oil Mills, Husain Paper Mills, Moula Textile, RM Steel Mill, Haripur Electricity Centre, Hosiery Industries, Dying Mill, Aluminum Factory etc.
Narayanganj town (sometimes called city) is located some twenty kilometres southeast from Dhaka. Narayanganj is a former sub-divisional town of DHAKA district and became a district headquarter in February 1984. The prominent river port of Bangladesh is on The Shitalakshya River which divides the town into two parts, namely the Narayanganj Municipal Area and Kadam Rasul Municipal Area. Narayanganj town is a center of business and industry, especially the jute trade and processing plants and the textile sector of the country. The Town consists of 8 wards and 76 mahallas. The area of the town is 18.7 sq km with a population of 230294. Among them male are 53.51%, female 46.49%. The density of population in town is 12315 per sq km and the literacy rate among the town people 60.2%.
Places of interest:
• The ancient city of Sonargaon (the capital of Isa Khan). Sonargaon was also world famous for producing muslin, a slim and fine cloth made from cotton.
• The Dhaka-Narayanganj-Demra (DND) embankment which surrounds Narayanganj district .
• Tomb of Sultan Giasuddin Azam Shah (1389-1411 AD)
• Baba Saleh Mosque (1481 AD)
• Goaldi Mosque (1519 AD)
• Three domed mosque of Sultan Jalaluddin Fateh Shah (1484 AD)
• Hajiganj Fort
• Sunakanda Fort
• Pagla Bridge
• Kadam Rasul Dargah
• Bandar Shahi Mosque
History of Narayanganj:
Naming history:The town was named Narayanganj after the name of got its name from a Hindu religious leader Benur Thakur or Lakhsmi Narayan Thakur. He leased the area from the British East India Company in 1766 . He also donated the markets and the land on the banks of the river Shitalakshya for maintenance expenses for the worship of the god Narayan( Hindu God).
Glorious history of narayanganj:Narayanganj is the oldest and most prominent river port in the country. The Portuguese and the English traders during the early parts of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuriesused this port.Narayanganj became busy at the beginning of the nineteenth century. w the Rally Brothers was The first foreign company who started trading jute in the area and with the help of an Assamese company it started to export the fiber from the port to the western countries in 1830. in 1907-08 there were 20 firms at Narayanganj engaged in the purchase, bailing and supply of raw jute to Calcutta mills. After 1947,Narayanganj became more important for business.before that it was a jute market and became converted into an industrial centre of jute. The then business community took up the required initiative and The Adamjees of West Pakistan came into the field at this stage and established the biggest jute mill in the world at Narayanganj. The company greatly boosted thw local economy.